Thursday, May 28, 2015

An Officer and a Gentleman.

September 7:

Dear Mamma,

...I shall soon write to the governor [pet name for Papa], the next letter to Carry & the next to Sally. Sam I suppose won't want one, as he couldn't come to bid me good bye when I went off. [That's because you tried to take his sword you selfish prick.]
...
We are all rather seedy as the colonel, with his usual shrewdness, has managed to have the cars go 3 miles an hour in the day, so as to keep the men in the car overnight; decidedly the most convenient way of disposing of the men, but rather rough on the officers who get very little sleep or to eat.

Where were they going, Auschwitz? That is the most reasonable reading of "disposing of" in context. That didn't happen and he must not mean that. He must mean it was the most convenient means of "controlling," or "keeping tabs on" the men, to prevent them from wandering off, deserting. "The men," however, are disposable. We "officers" are not, we deserve better treatment.

Give my love to all the family, my lady friends, Miss Jackson, Miss Sargent,...&c. 
&c.