Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Ran off the rails a bit today. Got distracted. Didn't stay "on message." Didn't tick many of the boxes today on Margaret---Damn! I'm terrible about names, the NYT "Public Editor," on her list. Humphreys is still dead.

We will drive a stake through the heart of this day with brief notes on other items in the news that caught our eye:

-The Vatican is going to recognize "the," a, Palestinian state, wherever the 'Stinians can cobble one together. It is a psychological blow to Israel. Israel will not be threatened but Israel is further isolated by and from the world.

The world is fed up with Netanyahu. I blow so hot and cold on Netanyahu that I don't know which way I'm blowing on this. I don't like Netanyahu but I think, I know, he is right about the proposed Iran deal. That is bad, it is bad for Israel, bad for the U.S. I like Israel more than I dislike Netanyahu.

I have never seen Palestinian statehood as a moral issue. For me, whatever Israel thinks is in its security interests I was for. And Israel did support a "two-state solution" for awhile, a good while. The world was helping to bring that about because Israel wanted it. Then Netanyahu said during the election, not just during the election, but directly during the election that there would be no Palestinian state on his watch. And the world threw up its hands. That is what Pope Francis did today.

-The United States Senate today voted to fast-track President Obama's Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal (It's already being called Obamatrade, ha! I love it. Very clever.) They just voted yesterday to slow-track it, I thought. I guess the other vote, whenever it was, really was a "snafu" as the White House said, not a "stinging rebuke" of the president. McConnell and out-going Democratic leader Harry Reid got together and apparantly knocked some heads around to get the vote. Democrats are staying on my "don't get along with" list, though.

-There was something else...there were three things...Oh! Well, it's really not all that. Juventus advanced to the final of the Uefa Champions League today. They will meet Barcelona on June 6. Today's draw against Real Madrid that sent them through was not that big a surprise but their previous victory over Madrid to get them to today, that was a surprise, a big deal. It was expected to be an all-Spain final and Juve really snuck up on folks, certainly on moi.

That's it. When does Cate Blanchett's new lesbian movie come out? Good night.