Thursday, October 25, 2018

A colleague responded to a reassuring email I sent:

"Word." 

?

















I had no fucking idea what that meant.

"Word"? I need a few more of those to comprende.

She responded "lol it's a thing we used to say a lot in the '80's, like 'right on.'"

She used a synonym from the 1960's thinking that my young adulthood extended that far back. Insert face palm.

So I texted my issue, 29 year old son, 22 year old daughter, the email exchange and insouciantly asked them if they had ever heard of "Word" being used synonymously with "Yes!" or, insert ouch, "right on." Their responses:

Son: Dad...lol. Man. Thats like late 90s

Daughter: And someone says “far out” it doesn’t mean they’re in another city. It’s slang from the 60s for “cool”. Not sure how far back I have to go now to teach you slang. Hahaha

Daughter: groovy means cool dad 

Son: Hahaha we both prepared a 60s joke 🤣

Me: I AM GOING TO MURDER YOU BOTH!