Thursday, February 21, 2019

Discovery of the Rothko Chapel Paintings, IV

When I got divorced, in 2003, a consequence of falling deeply in love with fin de siecle girl and before China girl, and moved into my own place, a one bedroom condominium unit, I decided to have the walls painted in the manner that Rothko painted the chapel paintings--horizontal brush strokes with an over abundance of paint on the brush causing the paint to drip down onto the next unpainted section--Wait for the drip effect.--and then repeat, so I instructed the two guys I commissioned to paint this project, and, of course, in the same color as in the chapel paintings. I bought pint containers of blue paint, red paint and black paint, mixed them in various proportions which I recorded in a ledger, painted samples onto the concrete floor of the balcony, let dry and then compared to high quality scans of the chapel paintings. I became Mr. Sherwin Williams. When to my satisfaction I had gotten le colour juste, and I have remained satisfied that I got le colour juste, I purchased three gallons of paint, one blue, one red, one black, mixed them myself in the correct proportions and then gave to the two Michelangelos of Little Israel I had commissioned.