Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Random thoughts come at random times and tonight those thoughts are on Neville Chamberlain's short address to the House of Commons that Britain was at war with Germany. The date was September 3, 1939. Chamberlain concluded his announcement with these remarks:

This is a sad day for all of us, and to none is it sadder than to me. Everything that I have worked for, everything that I have hoped for, everything that I believed in during my public life, has crashed into ruins. 


“Everything”...”everything”...”everything”  “crashed into ruins,” shattered. For all time, forever.

Who can read those lines and not feel a stab of pain in the heart? 

I trust I may live to see the day when Hitlerism has been destroyed...

His trust again was misplaced. Neville Chamberlain died on November 9, 1940.

Hope, and trust; and hard work, and belief; love of peace; and faith in God; the noblest of mankind’s virtues: what weigh these against the ashes of Neville Chamberlain?