Sunday, February 10, 2019

“He hit me with one screen and I thought my life was over.”

Oh my goodness, that quote from Jimmy Butler has had me laugh out loud three times. To set it up:

Steven Adams is the NBA world’s strongest man

There's no "NBA's Strongest Man" contest where players lift Jumbotrons or heave backboards onto the upper concourse, but among peers and people around the league, Adams is widely considered the NBA's strongman, a walking concrete wall of power and physicality.

"That guy is the strongest, most physical guy in the league," says Wizards coach Scott Brooks, who coached Adams for two seasons in OKC.

Adams is a bruising, physical relic of the past, a back-to-the-basket brute who will grind possessions in the post and overpower you to get there.

"That motherfucker is strong. Like, I'm serious," Philadelphia 76ers star Jimmy Butler said last season. "He hit me with one screen and I thought my life was over.

"He's from Krypton or something."