Thursday, February 21, 2019

Discovery of the Rothko Chapel Paintings, V

In 2004 I had come off a murder trial. I had been exclusively a homicide trial lawyer for nineteen years. I knew how long it took me to prepare for a homicide trial, how long the trial would last, and I knew how long my recuperation period was before I could try another one--two weeks. I needed one week to get my energy back and then a second week to meet with and prepare my witnesses and to put the finishing touches on a case previously prepared.

After this 2004 murder trial however i did not get my energy back. One week, okay, normal; two weeks, huh?; three weeks, four weeks, whoa. Something was wrong, I was not recuperating. The only thing I remember specifically doing for those four weeks to shake my lethargy was to take Geritol. Which didn't work. I had a fire that burned and throbbed in me when I worked, and I worked prodigiously. That fire had been extinguished somehow and by something that I could not identify. I went to the doctor and told her of my pattern and of how the pattern had been broken and how unusual this was. I don't recall her prescribing anything, probably just the usual jeremiads of exercise, which she knew I did regularly, of no smoking, which she knew I did not do, and of abstinence from alcohol, which she knew I would not do. The only thing she did that I recall is blood work.

It was now beyond a month and I was growing very impatient. I decided that I needed a change of scenery. I decided to go off and "meditate" somewhere, to clear my head, to jolt me back to my hot burning self.

I decided to head to Houston.