Tuesday, June 30, 2015

I am just reading of the tensions experienced by Roosevelt and Churchill as H-Hour of D-Day approached. That, however, was planned. Far worse, for me, would have been the shock of Pearl Harbor. Or of 9/11.

I watched not too long ago a documentary of Bush on 9/11. At least FDR knew who had hit him! Bush did not know what had hit him, initially the first plane was thought to be an accident, nor, at first, when Card told him of the second plane and that "America is under attack," who had attacked. Putting myself in Bush's position, I do not think I could have functioned. I would not have known what decisions to make.

That is the worst as far as I can imagine, 9/11 was the worst, not knowing what or who had hit you is the worst position I can imagine being in as a decision-maker.