Monday, June 29, 2015

Shadows and Light.*


One consciously in the shadows ceding the dwindling sunlight to the other: The remarkable photograph of Winston Churchill and Franklin Roosevelt at Marrakesh Morocco, January 1943.

From past viewings I had had such a definite image fixed in my mind of the expression on Churchill's face as one of adoration but now I don't see that, I see contemplation.

* "There is a photograph of this moment at the pinnacle, with a seated Roosevelt gazing out and a gentle Churchill looking at Roosevelt with tenderness in his eyes."-Jon Meacham, Franklin and Winston, p.211. That is where I got that "fixed" mental image. My brain did some weird transference of written word onto image. Fuck. I can go with "gentle" and "tenderness"...I guess. That is just not what I see now. That is not the face of Churchill I had fixed in my mind. I can still see it in my mind's eye! If you alter Churchill's expression just slightly, unknit the brows just a little, squeeze the eyes together a millimeter, turn the corners of the mouth up just a bit, you'd have it. But that image only exists in my brain. Meacham is correct that there is "a" photograph of that moment, not more than one. I have looked at a half dozen or so tonight and they are the same photograph. The mind plays tricks on you when you are old. Fuck!