Monday, July 27, 2015

The Devil and Dick Cheney.

"Dick Cheney watches television": The four previously unseen 9/11 photos that will make you hate the evil VP all over again.

That's the headline in the online zine "Saloon." The four pix are those of the evil VP in his office watching TV coverage with his leg up on his desk. I saw one and reprinted it. I also saw two, I think, of Cheney with a big ol' yawn in PECO. I didn't reprint those. IMO, they were outliers to the body language he exhibited consistently in the overwhelming majority of other photos. Twice, I began to write how impressed I was with Cheney's gravity in PECO; twice I erased to let the photos speak for themselves. When I thought others, most importantly President Bush, displayed body language that was more alarming, I noted and criticized it. There are over three hundred photos released by the National Archives in this latest batch, their release via FOIA request was repeatedly stonewalled by the Vice President's office and I wondered why. I don't see them painting Cheney in an unflattering light at all. I guess the veeps office did and Saloon certainly does so I guess I'm wrong. BUT I DON'T THINK SO!

Look: I don't carry water for Cheney and I didn't view all 367 or whatever of the photos, I probably looked at 100, but I did see one of Cheney with his leg propped up, no that didn't look too vice presidential, and I reprinted it but my God: If you look at the 100 or so I did and come away "hating" Cheney and thinking him evil, well, there's a job waiting for you at Saloon. 

Cheney is responsible for the American "dark side" of 9/11, the water boarding and other extra-legal acts, the appalling expansion of NSA, the secret courts, the entire parallel legal structure erected after 9/11. The Snowden revelations when they were released resulted in the worst year of my life. I became estranged from my country. I wrote all of this. Cheney was "profoundly changed," I read, by 9/11. So was I. Putting myself in his position I would not have done what he did. I also would not have written a book in which I wrote that my heart pacemaker was subject to terrorist short-circuiting. I could see myself accidentally shooting a friend with a shotgun because I almost accidentally shot my favorite brother with a shotgun because I am a mechanical KLUTZ! But I would not have downplayed and attempted to stonewall that embarrassing incident from immediately reaching the public. All I'm saying is that the uncontroverted subsequent weirdness of Cheney was not, to my eyes, revealed in his behavior and body language that we see in those September 11 photographs.

I take from Saloon's coverage that hate is TOO a family virtue and in that I am in agreement with them. And with that, good night.