Tuesday, February 11, 2020

It's good to have enemies

Joel Embiid, Philadelphia’s great player, posted on Instagram, "You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Jimmy Butler, Miami's great player, saw it and posted back, "I know a place where villains are welcome."

Antoine Walker, Boston's former great player, today:

"Joel Embiid needs to go to the Miami Heat. If his agent can somehow get him to the Miami Heat, we will really see the real potential of Joel Embiid, really become an MVP candidate. ... I saw it with Shaq, D-Wade, for myself." —
1:36
27.5K views
Embedded video
First Things First with Nick Wright and Jenna Wolfe on FS1 Weekdays. 6:30 AM ET


8:15 AM · Feb 11, 2020Twitter Media Studio
And it is true. Virginia is for Lovers--oh fuck that. Miami is for villains. Jimmy's post meant the world to me. *I have posted some version of that title up there over, and over, and over, and yeah. Years ago, a friend came down to my office to get me for lunch, opened my door and said, "There he is, the most hated man in the State Attorney's Office." Nearly brought a tear to my eye, it did; I was so proud. Pat Riley has always said that the "Heat" are the hardest working, best conditioned, nastiest, most hated team in the NBA. The bumper sticker during the Big Three was "Don't Hate the Heat." NO! Hate us! Hate Miami! Hate the "Heat!" Hate me! You can't spell heat without hate. It's good to have enemies.