Sunday, February 23, 2020

The Month

Search Keywords

EntryPageviews
john jarvis we rise with our dreams
5
all the light we cannot see sunflowers
1
ben simmons gives jimmy butler the "ben simmons treatment" behind the 3 point line
1
beverly hills supper club fire
1
dittatori attuali
1
marty balin we rise with our dreams
1
tomato andy lubitz
1
we rise with our dreams - john jarvis
1



"all the light we cannot see sunflowers", yes. That was a vivid image in that book. "Thwack, thwack."I know that sunflowers were symbolic of something in the book and paused as I was reading to google "sunflowers metaphor," "sunflowers symbolism", etc. and could not find anything that was a specific match for the context, as I recall, Nazis driving through a field of sunflowers knocking them over--thwack, thwack--one by one. Obviously, I get the general intent, but it could have been a field of corn or saplings.  I thought I had read elsewhere at some time that sunflowers were specifically a metaphor for blank. But, blank was what I came up with. Really, really liked that book; loved that book.

I read an extremely lengthy review of the book one time by a Jewish guy for a Jewish publication. The reviewer took the book author to task for humanizing the young Nazi soldier who was a central character. The Jewish reviewer's essential point is that you cannot write meaningfully about the Nazis unless you are Jewish. Which is of course utter bullshit and just made me like the book the more. My uncle Jack was killed by the Nazis and he is just as dead for being a Presbyterian.