Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Abraham Lincoln abstracted his personal moral feelings about slavery from his presidential policy. He also abstracted himself away during the course of his presidency. His first inaugural address on March 4, 1861 contained 3,646 words. Lincoln used the first person singular pronoun "I" 42 times, a 1/87 ratio. The Gettysburg Address, November 19, 1863 was 272 words long. Lincoln never used the word "I". Lincoln's second inaugural on March 4, 1865 contained 701 words, "I" was used once, 1/701. This is unusual. On the eve of President Obama's second inaugural, Lincoln biographer Ronald C. White, Jr., wrote in The New York Times, "one word typically dominates second inaugural addresses--"I," "I" and "I"!"

Lincoln was up there, he had removed himself.  On April 15, 1865 he was assassinated.