Sunday, January 19, 2014

Depressing to write that last post but then I opened up gmail and saw this, an email from my Red Guard friend Zhou Jineng. I've known Zhou for going on eight years now. He was one of the first Chinese to email me. "Chow" as he is known on Weibo, had posted something about me which is how Greg had gotten in touch with me. So I wrote to Chow. He speaks and understands no English and I speak and understand no Chinese so I asked Greg if he would translate my email to him. Besides a standard friendly greeting I asked Chow what he thought of Song Binbin's apology. Chow had apologized movingly in Red Art for violence he had committed during the Cultural Revolution. I honestly did not know what Chow would think about Song's apology. Here is Zhou's email, which touched me greatly. I will let it stand alone and then write a follow-up post. 



Hi Ben!

I am very glad to hear from you. Just as you know that the apology from Song Binbin has caused a great repercussion in China. My personal view is that her apology is positive in some degree. Regardless her sincere awakening or from of some pressure, apology is always worthy of recognition. Moreover, since she apologized for the Cultural Revolution, this event brought it into the public spotlight, and broke through the authority’s blockade in discussion the topic of Cultural Revolution, that is what I like to see.

However, the personal apology is not equal to the national apology. Rulers always try to cover up the truth in the history,so that under the real situation to distort history , justice is too difficult to be realized. As famous Chinese historian Mr. Zhang Lifan said: “No truth, no reconciliation. The prerequisite of the reconciliation is the truth. ” Right now I am not so optimistic about China's future, because of the ravages of Leviathan, China is becoming Sodom. And that is what I am worrying about.

Dear Benjamin, we are so grateful to your concerning about Chinese people and pursuing righteousness over the years. In my posts about you, many people are expressing their respect to you.

I do believe that the justice can pierce the haze, and the sunshine will be onto our land one day.

Best regards

Your friend Zhou