Friday, January 17, 2014

The preceding post is a perfect example of the stereotyped differences between Russia and China. Putin is, among other things, a buffoon, like Yeltsin was a buffoon. I know of no Chinese buffoons. Russians are vodka-besotted, crude, comparatively simple-minded; Chinese are not known as drunks, are not crude, and are brilliant--stereotypically. Russians are funny in their dumbness. Chinese...are not funny, not the dumb ones not the smart ones. It is inconceivable that any leader of China--and homosexuality is illegal in China--would make the dumb-funny statement that Putin made. I've played this game before: Quick, name a Chinese comedian. I can't name a Russian comedian either but I know there are more of them! I cannot take Russia as seriously as I do China. If somehow I had gone to Russia in 2006 instead of China, there is no way I would have come back and become as involved with Russia as I have with China.