Sunday, January 19, 2014

Chow.

I have written contradictory things about Song's apology in the last week, I know. I KNOW. "Damn her, undamn her, re-damn her." "It is up to the Chinese people, I have no "brief" here any more." Both of those things are true but the first are expressions of my personal opinion(s) and I should have resisted. I have been on this so long, in so much depth...What was I going to say, "I have no opinion?" Oh yeah, right. At any rate, I succumbed to temptation, again. I did not tell Chow my opinion, so his response was not a product of "coaching" (I do not think Chow is susceptible to coaching from any one :) ).

I have also written this week both publicly here and privately in emails that regardless of what one may think of Song's guilt or innocence, regardless whether her apology is accepted, it is a marvelous thing that it has occurred at all. That's what Chow says also. The Chinese people, victims and perpetrators, are doing this, not the Center, not a real legal system. They have not been permitted to examine the evidence and decide publicly, if informally, guilt and innocence. They have not had to search their consciences concerning punishment and reconciliation. They have not been permitted even to study the Cultural Revolution. They are deciding their HISTORY for the first time under the communists.

It is remarkable for me to read Chow's words "truth and reconciliation." I have related this anecdote previously so pardon the repetition but it is too relevant here. In 2008 I had lunch with Professor Xu Weixin. "What could be done?" That, essentially, was the lunch topic. "Trials?" I suggested. Without looking up from his lunch, Professor Xu replied, "No, we can't do that." I suggested something else, I do not remember what. Another no-look "No." "How about a 'Truth and Reconciliation Commission' like they had in South Africa?" Without looking up, Professor Xu pointed his left index finger in the air, nodded once and said "That we could do." I think there's a little truth and reconciliation going on here in China, has been for the past few years. Chow is correct that they need the truth first, and the whole truth. Song provided little detail on Bian's murder. And, what about other acts of violence? I know of just one other, a non-murder. But my God, there are reports of so many more. In "Remembrance," hapless Feng-whatever stated that an internet search turned up 7-8 MURDERS claimed to be Song's. Even with the whole truth, there are likely limits to the reconciliation. I mean, the women of the Manson family--Jeez, similar in some ways to Song--have apologized repeatedly and confessed in detail, they still are denied parole. Whatever the Chinese people decide, but if they decide against reconciliation in Manson Family-like cases, that would certainly be reasonable...My God, that Manson Family analogy, I have never thought of that before. IDIOT...Anyway, Chow. What a guy. Love that man.