Wednesday, January 22, 2014

In the redone conclusion to the January 21, "Oh my God, Weimin Mo" post I asked "What is Song Binbin fighting for?" That led me to think, "What do the Chinese people want?" with regard to Song. In my reading of their statements I see: accountability, punishment, confrontation: they want to confront Song with their accusations and suspicions...justice. They want justice. You can get that in a well-ordered criminal justice system but they don't have thatChina doesn't have such a system. They may look for an international court trial, the suggestion of Dr. Rongfen Wang, and I am little beyond a layman on international law so maybe that is feasible but I think not and I will be one incredulous mother-fucker if it is, so, for the purposes of this discussion I shall assume that that T'AINT GONNA HAPPEN.

Would the Chinese people like to question Song Binbin?

I bet they would. I don't know that for sure but I bet they would.  I think Chinese have had it with these imperious statements, they've had three rounds of that now, I don't think they're going to be satisfied with a fourth or a fifth. And, I believe Song's imperious statements have done her no good.

Might such questioning and answering and confronting and quasi-justice-making be arranged? Probably not actually, but the Chinese people can do anything, they are doing this, maybe they can arrange that. All of the Chinese people would have to agree to it, no not all 1.3 billion but the principals:  the "masses," I think there is a "critical mass" of the masses here so I think they've got that principal. They'd need Song. She's a Chinese person, a principal one, and they would need her agreement, for there is no, nor will there be any, indictment, no subpoenas, nothing to compel Song's participation. She would have to agree. The Center, BIG principal, would have to agree. Probably wouldn't. Would the Center stop, however, Song Binbin from going to Peking University to answer some questions informally from some "concerned citizens" from Wuhan, from Mr. Wang Jinyao? Where there's a will there's a way; Western saying, that. Maybe that saying has no applicability in China. Or maybe it does.