Sunday, May 31, 2020

Trump Epidemic

I must here give credit to, I don't know who other than the American medical care system. The mortality rate in the U.S. has always been lower than in other countries and I have pointed that out before. But it rose, steadily, incrementally, from 1.2% to a high of 6.06%. The virus' progress in the United States and the world is now mature. That is, the data base is robust. I noticed this the other day when I found Hopkins' mortality rates but I was focused then on other things. I want to come back to that now. You will recall that Hopkins provided data on the ten countries hardest hit by COVID-19. They are: Belgium, France, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, United States--all Western countries, heavily industrialized, modern, post-modern, up to date. Look at the difference in mortality rates:

The U.S. is dead last, or BEST, in its mortality rate. Belgium's is 16.2%, 2.75 times what the U.S. rate is. If we had Belgium's mortality rate, our number of dead right now would be 287,229 instead of the 103,853 it is. That we have lost 103,853 is the blood that drips from Donald Trump's short, stumpy fingers. That he is not further drenched with the blood of 287,229 is no doing of his, it is due to the extraordinary American health care system, the best in the world.