Saturday, May 23, 2020

My son has always had uncommon insight into people. On Wednesday I sent him Sarah Cooper's skit on Trump’s reaction to Katie Miller testing positive. My son's response was particularly astute, I thought:


“He’s an idiot and he’s scared because he doesn’t know how to fix this, he’s so used to being able to throw cash at his problems and then poof, they vanish. Not this time. A scared idiot is a dangerous person.”

"He's an idiot...he doesn't know how to fix this": That is so true. Trump is stumped by this. Consider in your memory Trump's looks recently. He looks stumped, like "Wtf, I gave everybody $1200 to make this go away and it didn't. I don't know what else to do." Trump doesn't know, he has never been interested in learning anything, he is not good at learning because he is not highly intelligent and does not have the work habits to apply himself to learn. In place of learning he relies on his "instincts." There is no thought to instinct.  I think of his infamous light/detergent Trump Virus briefing. Trump said more than once that it was all "interesting" to him. In your experience, when someone says something it "interesting" what does it really mean? It means (s)he has no fucking idea what it's about. You get that a lot in people's reactions to modern art. "Hmm, that's interesting." A few months ago the idiot president of the owner's association at my building called to me in the parking lot, "Is that your sticker on your car?" My AOC bumper sticker. "Is that your sticker?" No, Idiot, the bumper sticker on my car is not mine. What kind of fucking moron..."Yes," I replied. "She's interesting!" he said. Anyway. Trump assimilates like every fourth word. They stick in his mind. "Light," "disinfectant." The buzzwords enter his defective mind and out comes "interesting" defective ideas like "injection" of light and disinfectant. His greatest fear is realized: he just revealed to all, especially to himself, that he is a defective. In horror he walks out of the briefing and that was the last one he ever had.

"He's an idiot and he's scared": That was my son's most important insight. I had never considered that before. Yet, "Fear" was the title of Bob Woodward's book on Trump. For Trump, fear is the soul of power. When the power-holder is scared and an idiot, what then? "A scared idiot is a dangerous person." In three sentences and forty-one words of a text message my son distilled more of Donald Trump than his wordy lawyer father did in this much longer blog essay.